Sunday, August 2, 2009

Welcome To "A Sound Perspective"

Hello one and all. My name is Colin Thomson, and I am a music geek. My love of music spans many genres, including but not limited to: movie scores, baroque, classical, romantic, modern, jazz, hymns, pop, rock, blues, country, hip hop and everything else I might be forgetting. Basically, I like a bunch of types of music. But I am also a snob. I know the two don't seem like they should go together, but I try to make it work. I believe that, while certain genres tend to attract more talent, every medium of music has emotional potential and can be turned into something great, even if that rarely happens.

I am also the editor (and sole contributor) for the online movie score review blog, Soundtracks Reviewed. While I plan to still write some reviews, as I enjoy that, I was looking for another outlet in writing about music. A review blog, titled such, is somewhat limiting in the scope of what one can write about, and I wanted a little more freedom, as more than movie scores interest me, and more than albums need commentary.

This, then, is my outlet for that urge. Whether or not people read it, often writing my thoughts helps me to clarify them, and is a good exercise. So I hope you enjoy this rather random and without-guidelines look at the wonderful world of music.

But first, a little more introduction about myself. I am leaving for Wheaton College in only a couple weeks to study music composition at the conservatory there. I play piano. I love to collect things, especially music albums (of course) and old, dusty, hard cover books. I am a little bit of an audiophile, with finances determining exactly how much of an audiophile I can be. I would love to be a vinyl music collector, but as of yet do not have proper equipment to take advantage of the (I believe) added realism afforded by the scratching out of a sound wave, as opposed to 44100 little pictures of that wave per second played back digitally. But that is somewhere in the future.

So anyways, I think that gets us started. Basically, I will be posting on those interest, whether it be news, news to me, or just something I have been thinking about recently. So I hope you enjoy, but, as Victor Borge would say, if you don't there's simply nothing I can do about it.

-Colin Thomson

No comments:

Post a Comment